From humble beginnings in 1865 to a household name, A. Harvey & Company Limited has been serving the people of the greater St. John’s area for over 150 years. Our focus has always been clear – to put the needs of our customers first and support those in the community who support us.
In 1865, Alexander John Harvey moved to St. John’s to open an import/export business similar to an operation his father was running in Nova Scotia. The company was originally known as A. J. Harvey & Company and became incorporated as A. Harvey & Company Limited under the Companies Act of 1914. A. Harvey also established the Newfoundland Coastal Steamship Company in 1889 for transporting passengers and freight to coastal communities.
Today, A. Harvey enjoys the distinction of being one of Newfoundland’s most historic and diversified firms, and our headquarters are still located on Water Street East, St. John’s. We pride ourselves on being a privately owned Canadian corporation, which through its various divisions provides a wide range of services – many marine-oriented. Today, A. Harvey is a vital and integral part of the Newfoundland and Labrador economy, employing approximately 400 people throughout the province.
It’s our privilege to serve you.